Friday, December 5, 2008

On a more positive note

It has been a brutal week for publishers, and most blog posts are related to the carnage of lost jobs and panic in the industry.

But, true to my nature, I figured that I would blog about something positive - perhaps giving all of my 3 followers something to think about and redirect energies in the right direction.

The fact is, I simply love book publishing, and I love my job (all the more cherished this week). Yesterday was one of those days that reminds me of the simple things I enjoy about this business. Ben Todd, Rob Sidor and I spent the day working with the team at David C Cook - Wendi, Ken, Leslie, Karen, Rochelle and Stuart - and it was just an enjoyable day. I think that there were many people whose desks were near the conference room that thought we were playing Twister, because we had a lot of good laughs. And I don't think it was because we were getting punchy. Yet the day overall was very productive and we got done what we set out to do. In fact, we were on such a roll that we didn't get out of our chairs from 1:00 - 5:00, despite our carefully planned breaks.

I don't think I would have had the same sort of day if we were kicking off a project at a financial firm, or pharmaceutical company. I just like people in publishing.

Of course, it didn't hurt that Wendi directed us to the perfect place for dinner - an Irish Pub called Jack Quinn's in downtown Colorado Springs where we wrapped up a long day with great wings, hot NY Strip, cold Smithwicks and live irish music (not necessarily in that order)

That's it today - no prognostications, or links to insightful blog posts, just the basics. We are in publishing because we love the business, and now more than ever we should be appreciative of that.

3 comments:

Jana said...

Thanks, Doug. Nice to read something upbeat today.

Michael Covington said...

The people at Cook are awesome, and so is the food and atmosphere at Jack Quinn's!

Music City Innovator said...

It was a great trip. Glad you had a nice flight home.